Skip to main content

The one shouldered blue Dress.

I started this dress mid November and it's taking forever to make, because every time I tried to make it something else would get in the way. But its finally complete- yay!

The dress is a one shoulder design, with a two tier ruffle on the neckline finished with bias binding and features a side zip.

I first made the pattern when I was in collage as part of my final project, and decided to have another go at it. I made some adjustments to the original pattern, mainly to the hem and ruffles.
The original pattern has an asymmetric hem with four tiers of ruffles, which I didn't want on this dress so I just straitened the hem. I also made the neckline ruffles longer.




The dress turned out fairly well but the original pattern was done using the Drape method (done on the dress stand) but I think I should of stuck to a flat pattern (done on paper) which is what I usually do. 
I did make alterations to correct bits of this pattern but I'm still not convinced its 100% right.

The good thing about it was, I knew there might be problems with the pattern so I didn't use an expensive fabric, instead I picked up this blue fabric from the remnants bin for £2.20
for 1.5mtrs. Bargain!!! 






I've paired the dress with a cropped jacket, I think they work quite well together.

what do you guys think?

thanks for looking x



Comments

  1. This dress is gorgeous! Well done! I love sewing too, get my patterns from burdastyle (cos I'm tight!)

    I'm your newest follower

    Lauren @ Lauren Loves... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. youre so talented, i love that blue colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! You squandered talent and matched to complement the model with the color. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't believe you made this- amazing!
    Thank you for your comment, it always brightens my day :)

    Just 4 more days till Australia!
    www.passportsandprada.com

    xoxo, Summer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Inspiration Wednesday.....

I think it's well over due for an inspiration Wednesday! So here goes.....






As always images are from Pinterest, to see more like this you can follow my Garment Details board here.

How To: Inserting a side seam zip with pocket

This skirt was meant to have a center back zip along with side seam pockets. Instead I put the two together and combined the zip into the side seam pocket and thought I would share with you how I did it or basically winged it ;)


What You should Know First:
This is easier than it looks all you need to do is be able to insert an invisible zip. The waist band was faced but I found it easier to attach the facing once the zip was in place.  This skirt also had lining but the lining fabric is treated as a single layer with the fashion fabric.
Prep:
Prior to inserting the zip and pockets and treating the lining and fabric as one layer, I made sure both side seams were over-locked 
Construction Tips: These are by no means a definite way to do this, just the way I did it.  . 

1.  Pocket pieces should be kept separate, which makes it easier to place on the the skirt.




2. Taking the one pocket piece (Ignore that I have two in the pic) I lined it up on the right side of the skirt, with the correspondin…