Now I can finally say Done.
I decided to try the Thurlow pattern, the shorts version. Intrigued by adjustable extension on the back seam. It turned out to be a good a choice.
Fabric choice and notions:
The Fabric, recent freebie, it's a dark purple wool blend, it looks like it could be wool twill as it's quite soft to touch and slightly furry (if you know what I mean) compared to polyester twill.
I also used floral poly cotton for the facings, and pocket bags. This fabric was also another freebie!!
The Thurlow pattern also requires a zip, I used a jeans zip that was in my stash, probably not the best idea as it's bulky and does show, the camera flash makes it look worse :(. A button and a hook and bar fasting is also recommended for this pattern.
After oohing and ahhing over what pattern size to cut the Thurlow out, I always go by finished garment size, I finally went with size 0, a bit of a gamble but it turned out fine. Thankfully! I knew if I cut the size 2 the waist would be too big, which I didn't want. so size 0 it was!
Thurlow Adjustments/ Alterations:
Although cutting the size 0 pattern was a gamble, it payed off, I only had to alter the back of the shorts by around 2 cm, and although there is a little stretching of the fabric across the widest part of my hips, it's not too noticeable I've had worse, believe me ;) next time I would consider adding around 1cm to this part of the pattern and grading it back into the hip.
Another small adjustment was the belt loops, luckily you assemble these by first folding a long strip of fabric into thirds, before top stitching. when I first started to fold these I decided they looked to wide for the shorts so I trimmed around half a centermeter of the width, which I felt would look better.
Other things to mention:
I used a tip I'd seen on Tilly and the buttons, to get a perfect corner on the waist band, which worked perfectly, thanks Tilly!!
I need to practise my welt pockets :( normally I'd do a trial first on some scrap fabric, but I skipped this, there not too bad, but they're not great either.
Thoughts on the Thurlow pattern:
I would say this is an intermediate pattern, it is fiddly in places, the welts for example, but it's not difficult. In fact it's rather enjoyable to make. Additionally I am really impressed on the fit, shape and style, and I would definitely but another sewaholic pattern. (I'm currently eye-in up the Codova jacket ;) )
It's a lovely pattern and fit and the instructions are well written and clear. I can see me making more of the shorts as they are so adaptable from being smart/casual to summer wear too! In an older post I did state, that I wouldn't make the trousers as they are not really my style. Having re-thought this, I'm in need of a new pair of smart trousers and although I don't wear them often, I thought with the adjutable back extension, and in a nice black trouser fabric I could have them for years and year an not worry if I put on a little weight or loose a bit they could be easily adjusted.
All in all a successful make, I'm more than pleased with these, so much so I didn't want to take the shorts off after I took the photo's, now that's a sign of a good make :)
hooray for the Thurlow!!