Raspberry Ripple Top.

Sorry for the absence of late, I have so much going on, and as much as I would love to think I'm wonder-woman I'm not :(.
 Unfortunately I think posting is very much going to be irregular for at least the next two if not three months, I just don't seem to have the time, this house move is taking it's toll, and with so much sorting, painting furnishing and house sewing to-do and the rest, it's leaving little time for 'fun' sewing, sketching and blogging, I hope you'll bare with me :)

To the Sewing.....




The garb
My latest make is a self drafted top in shades of raspberry, white, pastel yellow and mint  hence the name raspberry ripple (make that with a hint of mint too Hehe!)
 I love wearing legging in the warmer months, all winter spent in jeans is no good I tell ya' But I cant abide short tops worn with leggings, the ones that finish at your hip bone type of tops (no offence if that's your sort of thing but it's no for me) so bum skimming or longer tops float my boat. I decided my pattern cutting skills were getting rusty and I was in need of some oiling, and with only a meter of fabric at my disposal I decided the best use was a tunic style top. 




Details:
Using my trusty Winifred Aldrich pattern cutting book, I used the kimono block. As this was a loose fitting block I choose the xsmall size.
 I set about lowering the neck-line front and back, lengthening the block and adding a small dip hem to the back. I drafted a small patch pocket and mock cuffs for the sleeves and did my first self made bias binding to finishing the neckline, which adds a more professional touch I feel. I decided to cut the pocket across the stripe of the fabric so it stands out. 



Fabric:
Another piece from my stash, 'I'm so into stash busting right now' (check out this board on pinterest for stash busting ideas)
This was another of my remnant bin finds from John Lewis, £3 for the meter. It's a cotton viscous blend with a tiny crinkle effect to the fabric and a slight open weave in some of the stripes. Although it's a tad on the delicate side with the open weaves, it handles pretty well and sewed up no problem. The only negative is that the neckline is a bit wonky thanks to me not stay stitching it,as the fabric does have a bit of give. 



Overall:
I know I say this with most of my makes but I really am happy with this top. I think it's the fabric choice that makes it spot on, I've had so many dodgy fabric choices it's just nice to be able to wear something that doesn't rustle and feels nice against my skin. I'm also pleased with my style details and it's got my pattern cutting bug back - now if only I could find the time ;)

A side note: 
As I said previously I'm meant to be taking part in me-made-May, well not all is going well, I keep forgetting to bring things to the new house, or think I've brought them when I haven't, basically I'm useless! I am try to wear some me-made items, but unfortunately I'm not sticking to my five times a week rule, so instead of a weekly round up I should think one at the end of May will be ideal at my rate.

What's everyone else sewing?

Comments

  1. Love the top and the style! Great job to wrangle it out it so little fabric =)

    Sounds like you have a lot going on! Sounds smart to not stress about the blog, it will be here when life returns to normal =) I'll be looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :)
    Something had to give and unfortunately it's the blog :( but I already feel so much better not having to find the time to post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Catching up with your posts as well! Take your time and choose what is best for you now - it will all settle. As for me blogging is also taking its toll, it IS interesting but it takes a lot of time, so much so that I can't find time to sew :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I do seem to be having quieter days here and there, where I can get on with sewing/blogging so thigss do appear to be more positive.

      I found blogging time consuming in the beginning (I still do at times) but if you can get into a routine it does help! I'm also a fan of schedule posting and I generally to a lot of blog related stuff on a sunday afternoon which free's up my weekday time:)

      Delete

Post a Comment