How to: Sewing a snood with a French seam (part 2)



Hiya! Yesterday I shared with you how I stamped my fabric and today I'll show you how I sewed it together (It's super easy). I'll also show you how I created a French seam too.
Although it was really easy, I loved making this scarf (good for instant gratification). Hand stamping the fabric was the really fulfilling part knowing that it's a unique one of a kind print ;) I've worn the scarf a few times and it's received compliments too, which is always nice :) 

Sewing up the scarf



Once the fabric is cut and stamped and I began by joining the two edges together to create the circle, thus making it a snood. With this type of scarf a French seam tends to be the neatest when joining it together and it gives it a really sturdy nice finish too.

To create a French seam I began by placing the wrong sides of fabric together and pining in place. 




I then stitched the fabric with a small  0.5cm seam allowance and trimmed any loose threads from the fabric. ( opps don't look to closely as this pic, I swear I did trim this right after I took it ;) 



 I turned the fabric inside out to the wrong side of the material and pressed along the top of the seam I had just created, so the seam edge is running right along the top of the fabric and the seam allowance is sandwiched between the two layers of fabric. I then pined the seam in place.


From here I stitched a 1cm seam allowance which will fully encase the first seam I made and stop it from fraying. My french seam is now complete. Really simple, just a bit confusing working wrong sides together first as you feel it's about to come out wrong.


Once I'd finished the French seam, I open the fabric out and press the seam allowance to one side.


There it is a lovely neat concealed seam on the right side of the fabric with a finish to match on the wrong side.

Hemming around the edges of the scarf


once I created the french seam I then hemmed right around both sides of the scarf. The hem I sewed is a narrow folded hem or sometimes called a baby hem. I turned over 1cm of fabric on the wrong side and press it in place. 


I then turned this hem over on it's self once again, so the raw edge is now completely hidden and pined in place. Generally a baby hem is usually only turned over about 0.5cm first and the second time you turn the fabric on you make that seam 1cm but I was being lazy and opted for 1cm for both turns.


Once the hem is pined I stitch as close to the hem edge as I can. I find it easier to turn the fabric on to the wrong side to do this so I can gauge better how close the stitching is to the edge. I did this for both sides of the scarf, and gave it a quick press with the iron and it's finished!

hem seen from the wrong side 

Hem seen from the right side


Hey, presto you now have a circle scarf, or to give it it's proper name, which I thick is the worst name ever a Snood!

Alternatives/Tips

If you wanted to make a scarf like this you might not want to make a 'snood' scarf so you could try hemming all the way around the scarf without joining the two ends and this would make a long scarf or cut it to a more suitable size before making a normal scarf.

If your sewing with georgette or chiffon, I would still highly recommend a French seam to join the ends, but as for the baby hem you may want to make it smaller like say 0.5cm for both turns to create more of a rolled hem or just cheat and use the over locker to create a rolled or turned under hem.

To see part one, 'How to stamp your fabric' Click Here 

Hope you enjoyed my 'How To' which I should really call 'How I'. 

Follow on Bloglovin

Comments