Skip to main content

Floral Matching Skirt and Top (Sew U Pattern)

 I've been searching for fabric with a border print for sometime and this one fitted the bill. Although, I had no idea of what to make with it at first, but a little soul searching later coupled with lusting after a matching skirt and top set and this is what I came up with.....







 I knew I had to make use of this border print so with a quick sketch at hand of how I wanted it to roughly look and using patterns from the sew u home stretch book. I set about sewing up my matching outfit. 




  The patterns I used were the skirt front/back and waist band along with the bodice front/back and sleeve pattern. I made very few adjustments, only shorting the sleeve and shaping the skirt's hem width.
Once it was sewing up I toke an additional inch off the length of the hem, same for the bodice and some off the sleeves length too, just to neaten the look up. It's amazing what a few inches here and there can do for an outfit.




  This outfit did satisfied my curiosity about owning a matching set, whilst getting in some much need sewing experience with stretch fabric.
 Realistically I'm not sure if I would wear this outfit as a whole, I'm not sure what it is exactly about it that makes me feel this way, maybe it's just a bit too match-y match-y for my taste so it will probably get more wear as separates.


Tech info:
Pattern: taken from sew u home stretch book
size: small
make again: Hmm verdicts out on this one
fabric: eBay from the Minerva crafts shop
Time taken: 3 to 4 hours


It's going to be quite round these parts for the next two weeks or so whilst I go off on my Holibobs but until then here are some out-take photo's! what is it with men and taking photo's.....??
'doing the robot'

'heading for the gurning championships'



Have a lovely Easter x

Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

  1. oh! beautiful! GENIUS pattern placement! and poses to boot :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks! Yes the last two poses are umm..... Special ha!

      Delete
  2. I just came accross your blog the first time. The outfit is lovely and really suits you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Inspiration Wednesday.....

I think it's well over due for an inspiration Wednesday! So here goes.....






As always images are from Pinterest, to see more like this you can follow my Garment Details board here.

How To: Inserting a side seam zip with pocket

This skirt was meant to have a center back zip along with side seam pockets. Instead I put the two together and combined the zip into the side seam pocket and thought I would share with you how I did it or basically winged it ;)


What You should Know First:
This is easier than it looks all you need to do is be able to insert an invisible zip. The waist band was faced but I found it easier to attach the facing once the zip was in place.  This skirt also had lining but the lining fabric is treated as a single layer with the fashion fabric.
Prep:
Prior to inserting the zip and pockets and treating the lining and fabric as one layer, I made sure both side seams were over-locked 
Construction Tips: These are by no means a definite way to do this, just the way I did it.  . 

1.  Pocket pieces should be kept separate, which makes it easier to place on the the skirt.




2. Taking the one pocket piece (Ignore that I have two in the pic) I lined it up on the right side of the skirt, with the correspondin…